Honoring Missouri’s military
ROTC students lead the Mizzou Veterans Day parade, ceremony and vigil
Adobe Flash 8 or higher and java script are required to view the slide show.
- MU Air Force ROTC cadets prepare to march in the Nov. 11, 2009, Mizzou Joint ROTC Veterans Day Parade on 8th Street in Columbia, Mo. MU Veterans Week events began Nov. 9 and continue through Nov. 13. From left: Cadet 3rd Class Sean P. Sellers from St. Genevieve, Mo.; Cadet 4th Class Nathan J. Meyer from Troy, Ill.; Cadet 4th Class David J. Campbell from Bolingbrook, Ill.; Cadet 4th Class Caleb J. Siefkas from Columbia; Cadet 4th Class Thomas M. Schulte from DeSoto, Mo.; Cadet 3rd Class Dixon N. Ethington from Lee's Summit, Mo.; Cadet Maj. Kyle R. Wilmot from Belton, Mo.
- Army ROTC cadets stand in formation on Francis Quadrangle before marching to the parade route on the Historic Avenue of the Columns.
- Cadet Battalion Commander James Caldwell talks with members of his battalion while Cadet Private Dylan Waschkowski (right) prepares for the parade.
- Midshipman Michael Hosteny (right), a junior from Springfield, Ill., checks the uniform worn by PLC Candidate Alexander Richmond, a junior from St. Peters, Mo.
- Midshipman Battalion Commanding Officer Cadet Col. Michael G. Marta, a senior from Platte City, Mo., gives orders to fellow ROTC students.
- Cadet Corporal Courtney Berck holds the flag of her Army ROTC platoon.
- Cadet Battalion Commander James Caldwell leads the formation during the parade.
- Midshipman Matthew St. John, a sophomore from Wildwood, Mo., monitors traffic on Elm Street.
- A bystander watches the parade on 8th Street.
- Phil Gibson, the son of a Navy veteran who recently died at age 90, pays his respects.
- Jackson Bruenjes, a member of the 84th Infantry Division Reenacted, sits in a World War II jeep in front of the Boone County Courthouse.
- Distinguished guest speaker Lt. Col. Ronald L. Tucker, an MU graduate, addresses the crowd during the ceremony at the Boone County Courthouse.
- Cadet Sgt. Maj. Adams (left) and Midshipman Phillip Bayani stand at ease in front of the Boone County Courthouse. Bayani is a freshman from Yokosuka, Japan.
- Skip Yates, a retired Navy aviator and captain of the VFW Post 280 Honor Guard, salutes alongside ROTC cadets. Front row, from left: Cadet Lt. Col. Richard G. Gannon from DeSoto, Mo.; Cadet Maj. Kyle R. Wilmot from Belton, Mo.; Cadet 4th Class Matthew C. Howard-Darling. Back row, from left: Cadet 3rd Class Konrad B. Hughes from Springfield, Mo.; Cadet 4th Class Caleb J. Siefkas from Columbia, Mo.; and Cadet 2nd Lt. Zachary S. Ragain from Jefferson City, Mo.
- Midshipman William Chandler (with rifle), a freshman from Allen, Texas, stands at attention beside Cadet Capt. Christopher J. Neal of St. Louis.
- George Hansen, a World War II veteran who served in the Navy from 1942 to 1946, takes part in the ceremony.
- Cadet Maj. Gregg M. Johnson from San Antonio, Texas, overlooks the proceedings from a downtown parking garage.
- Columbians watch the Veterans Day ceremony from Walnut Street.